Microsoft Windows Millenium Edition
Windows Millennium Edition, or Windows Me, is the new home operating system for PC's that brings the richness and convenience of the digital world to your home.
Windows Me is designed specifically for the home PC user. It represents the first major milestone towards advancing the vision of the Windows Division and further simplifying the computing experience for consumers.
Windows Me delivers in 4 key areas: The Best in Digital Media; Improved User Experience; Enhanced Home Networking; and Rich Internet Experience.
As with previous versions of Windows 9x, Windows Me offers the broadest support for consumer hardware and software.
- The Best in Digital Media: New technologies and features make it easy to share digital photos, videos, and music. Windows Me includes Movie Maker, Windows Media Player 7, new imaging technology for digital still cameras and scanners, and superior 3D graphics and sound support.
- Improved User Experience: Advanced help functions make it the most trouble-free operating system for the home. System Restore lets users easily return their systems to a working state, and System File Protection safeguards key system files. Help and support resources are easily accessible from a single location, and AutoUpdate lets users easily schedule automatic updates from the Windows Update site.
- Enhanced Home Networking: The improved Home Networking Wizard simplifies the process of setting up a home network, and Internet Connection Sharing allows users to share a single Internet connection across multiple PC's. There's a new TCP/IP network protocol for improved reliability and security on the Internet, and also support for Universal Plug and Play - the next generation of smart devices.
- Rich Internet Experience: Internet Explorer 5.5 improves the online experience with faster browsing and easier printing. Outlook Express and MSN Messenger Service keep you connected with friends, family, and the world around. Internet-ready versions of classic games let you participate in online gaming fun.
- Computer/Processor- Pentium or equivalent, 150 MHz or higher processor
- Memory- 32MB of RAM; more memory improves performance
- Hard Disk- A typical installation requires 320 MB to 420 MB, but can range between 200 MB and 550 MB depending on system configuration and selected options.
- Drive- CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive
- Display- VGA or higher resolution monitor
- Peripheral- Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
- Miscellaneous- Additional items or services required to use certain features:
- 28.8 or higher-baud modem or fax modem required for Internet access.
- Access to the Internet through a service provider (a separate fee may be required)
- For sound: Sound card with speakers or headphones, or USB speakers (requires PC with USB support)
- For DVD Video: DVD ROM Drive; Compatible DVD decoder card or DVD decoder software
- For Broadcast TV and Web reception: Compatible TV tuner card; Pentium or higher processor; Additional 65 MB of hard-disk space; Reception depends on availability of broadcast sources in your area
- For Internet Connection Sharing: Network connection between the connection host computer and other computer devices sharing internet access
- For Windows Media Player: "Portable" music requires a portable music player to download to; Internet connection to get album/track/artist information
- For Movie Maker: 300 MHz or higher processor- Pentium II or equivalent; 64 MB RAM; 2 GB of free hard disk space for video